Global warming and environmental issues are becoming higher on peoples concerns. What used to be an issue that we hardly heard about now it’s on everyones lips.
So what can we do as individuals to help with this issue. Can we really make a difference?
Here are just a few things that you can do to make an eco wedding.
- Choose a local venue – Try and choose a venue that is close to you and most of your guests so journeys are kept to a minimum. Also keep the journey between the marriage venue and the celebration venue to a minimum. Hunt around for venues that claim to be eco friendly and get them to tell you why.
- Travel Share – If you have guests coming from far and wide why not set up a travel network connecting guests that live close or on route so they can travel together.
- Accommodation – Suggests hotels that are close to your venue for your wedding guests to stay.
- Locally Sourced – Ask if your catering uses locally sourced produced and don’t be afraid to ask them to prove it.
- Wedding Favours – Why not find a local baker to bake biscuits with your guest names on. You could use them as place names. You could also give air plants tied with ribbon. They won’t need looking after during the reception and even the most dangerous of plant killers amongst us will have trouble harming these.
- Go Vegan – Have at least some of your food vegan. It’s easier than you think. Ask your caterer or venue to come up with some creative ideas.
- Minimise Print – Send out a PDFs or emails of your invites. Have a Wedding Website and ask guests to RSVPing.
- Keep it clean – Where possible make sure all your decorations are bio degradable
- Recycle – Why not buy a second hand wedding dress or hire one. Vintage always looks great and maybe your mum still has her wedding dress to hand down to you. If you do really want to buy new make sure you keep it to handout yourself or sell it on.
- Confetti – Keep it real. You can buy dried rose petals and put them in envelopes to hand out to your guests. They are biodegradable and look pretty.
- Plant a tree on the big day – Or even more. The planet always needs more green.
- Honeymoon – We all like to fly off to those exotic destinations but why not sail there instead. Some ferries or Cruise ships use eco friendly fuel. Or even better give your local luxury hotel a whirl instead.
You may think you can’t make a difference but if we all did our bit it’s surprising what a difference we can make! Even if you don’t follow all of these suggestions just pick one that you think you can.